Abhishek De, Kiran Godse, Dhiraj Dhoot, and Aarti Sarda

Indian J Dermatol . Mar-Apr 2021;66(2):159-164. doi: 10.4103/ijd.IJD_771_20.

Chronic spontaneous urticaria is a skin condition with wheals and angioedema, for more than six weeks. Second-generation H1-antihistamines are the first line treatment for these allergic conditions, namely bilastine. The aim of this study was to assess long-term efficacy and tolerability of bilastine in patients with chronic spontaneous urticaria in India.

This was a retrospective analysis that identified patients with urticaria who were prescribe bilastine between May, 1, 2019 to March, 20, 2020 from analysis of electronic medical records. Patients with unsatisfactory response to previous treatment were also included. Unsatisfactory treatment was assessed as per Urticaria Activity Score 7 (UAS7). The efficacy of the treatment was evaluated by revising their UAS7 score ate weeks 4, 8, 12, 16, 20. DLQI was also evaluated and compared at baseline and week 24.

The study included 49 patients. At 24 weeks, 51% of them had achieved treatment response (UAS = 0) and the remaining 49% had a well-controlled urticaria (UAS <6). At 24 weeks, mean UAS7 was statistically significant compared to baseline values (1,35 ± 1,61 vs. 20,2 ± 5,73), and mean DLQI score also decreased to 1,63 ± 1,18, compared to 8,39 ± 2,49 at baseline.

In conclusion, this study demonstrated that patients who usually had an inadequate response with commonly used antihistamines, when switched to bilastine had their quality of life and symptoms improved.

This document is only available for registered healthcare professionals

Login

La información que está a punto de visualizar está dirigida únicamente a los profesionales sanitarios aptos para prescribir o dispensar medicamentos. La correcta utilización de su contenido requiere de formación como profesional sanitario.

Debe hacer clic en Aceptar para confirmar que es usted profesional de la salud y continuar con la navegación.

ACEPTAR